Welcome to the Palermo Historical Society

The Palermo Historical Society was founded in 1994 with a mission to preserve, record and disseminate the community history, enhance the sense of our culture and build on our reputation as a caring, help-thy-neighbor community.

Meetings

The Palermo Historical Society meets at 7 p.m., on the 4thTuesday of every month, at the Worthing House, 54 North Palermo Road, across the street from the Palermo Town office. We would like to have you attend a meeting so that you can learn firsthand what we are about.
The meetings are held from January through November. There is no regular meeting of the Society in December. The meetings in January and February take place on the 4th Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
The next meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (note time change), Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at the Historical Society.

Worthing House

The Worthing House is open by appointment (please call  993-2455).  We especially welcome school and group tours. Admission is free!

October Meeting - Memories of the Mill



The Palermo Historical Society will show a short documentary "Memories of the Mill" on Tuesday, October 24 at 7 pm at the Worthing House, 54 No. Palermo Road in Palermo. There will be a brief business meeting at 6:30 pm.

The Dinsmore Grain Company Mill was a historic early 20th-century mill building on Branch Mills Road in China. Built in 1914 on the site with nearly 100 years of industrial use.

The Dinsmore Mill was located just west of the village center of Palermo, across the town line in China. It sat astride the West Branch Sheepscot River, which drains Branch Pond to the north and was impounded by the dam located beneath the mill structure. The mill was a 2-1/2 story frame structure, rectangular in shape, covered by a gabled roof and wooden shingle siding. A three-story tower rose nearthe center of the southern (street-facing) facade; it was also capped by a gabled roof. The ground floor of the building housed the main works, which included a water-driven turbine and the milling equipment. A conveyor belt provided access to the upper floor, which was historically used for the storage of grain.

The first documented mill at this site was in operation in 1817 but was destroyed by a fire in 1908. Rebuilt in 1914 and at first just a grist mill, it was expanded in 1935 to also function as a sawmill and operated until 1960.

Structural instability due to the building's deteriorated condition made repair work difficult and potentially dangerous and the mill was razed in the summer of 2017.

The presentation is free and open to the public.

Millard Howard's Introduction to the Early History of Palermo, Maine

December 16, 2015 - The Palermo Historical Society is pleased to announce the publication of the second edition of Millard Howard's An Introduction to the Early History of Palermo, Maine.

This book updates the 1976 edition of the History, covering the settling, and organization of the town, its schools and churches, military involement and other aspects of town life from the early settlement to the end of the nineteenth century.

Order Form


Contact Us

image

Palermo Historical Society
P O Box 13
Palermo, ME 04354

or

email: palermohistorical@gmail.com
www.000webhost.com